Monday, June 16, 2014

Welcome to My Distance Education Blog!

The purpose of this blog is to reflect upon the readings and assignment in OMDE 603. The topics and readings discussed in this course have already impacted my view of DE as a student and a professional in the field. I hope that you will share your thoughts, as well.

Before beginning this course I defined DE as the following:

Distance Education is any type of education or training where the majority of instruction does not occur in a face-to-face setting with the instructor and the learner in the same location. This includes any type of training or teaching and is not limited to secondary or post-secondary education. 


While the bulk of this definition holds true, I have a few thoughts to add. First, for the purpose of this blog I do not consider practical training as part of DE. This is mostly because I have come to understand DE as an "exchange" between a teacher and a learner. Typically, practical training for a profession is one-sided with the learner completing a series of tasks and learning objections. They do not receive real-time feedback and they progress as they would in a DE classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment