Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Teacher-Learner Exchanges

In Anderson's Article Three Generations of Distance Education Pedagogy he examines cognitive- behaviorist, social-constructivist and connectivitist pedagogies during each era of distance education's history. The cognitive-behaviorist approach continues to be applied to training rather than formal education. This leads me to my thoughts on the differences between distance training and distance education. Prior to completing the readings in OMDE 603 I did consider online training to be a form of distance education. However, I have come to realize the importance of an exchange between the learner and the teacher being a key component of DE.

Typically, online practical training for something like a job is a one-way experience. A set tutorial has been created with a series of questions to test knowledge. Therefore, if you take a quiz to test your knowledge and get some of the answers wrong, you don't receive any feedback despite the knowledge that you got it incorrect. Even if there is a brief explanation it doesn't really allow the learner to ask follow-up questions or build from personal experiences.

Through the technological innovations over the past 50 years the amount and speed of exchange has improved significantly. I would venture to say that using a Google doc for a group assignment is almost easier than the days of meeting with your group in a quiet library and trying to put your ideas all together.

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    Your online training versus online education differentiation is pretty clear. I have been involved in both. Obviously, the class that we are currently taking is part of my online education experience. As for the online training: I am an EMT. Each year, EMTs in the state of Maryland (and I am sure in other states as well) must go through what is called a Protocol Update. This training, which can last a few hours, informs EMTs of what has changed in our state protocols concerning medical treatment of patients. Basically, we sign into our online EMT education portal, watch a bunch of videos, and take a few quizzes along the way. I personally like interaction, like we get in online education, so that if I have questions, I can ask them, and if I get something wrong, I can find out why.

    Another aspect of online education that you mention on this blog post is about group projects. Now, group projects are sometimes dreaded by students, but they are a necessary aspect of learning. Students need to learn to work with others to achieve goals. I remember the days of my undergraduate studies where I would have to meet with my group outside of class. As a commuter, this was typically difficult. Though group work is still tedious today, the aspect of such technologies as Google Docs has definitely made it easier on the schedule.

    Leeanne Poist

    ReplyDelete